a whole lot of crazy nothingness

6.27.2006

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

This is my family's recipe for buttermilk drop biscuits. I only know the measurements because I pretty much held measuring cups under ingredients as my grandmother made them. She says she just "knows" the right amount... well I am not blessed with such talent so I have measurements. I make these all the time and they are always huge hit. They are also so stankin' easy to make I almost feel bad when people think I slaved over them... almost.

The recipe also works well for strawberry shortcakes, just add a tablespoon or two of sugar and a dash of cinnamon to the ingredients before mixing up. Each biscuit can be cut in half to use as base and top of single serving shortcake sizes.

1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Dash of salt
Self-rising flour (vital that it is self-rising!)
  1. Preheat over to 350 and grease a cookie sheet
  2. Mix buttermilk, oil and salt in large mixing bowl.
  3. Add 1 1/2 cups of self-rising floor. Mix making sure all ingredients are wet.
  4. This is where is get a little confusing for some. Continue to add self-rising flour in 1/4 cup amounts until the dough is a little sticky, but wet sticky. Be carfeul that you don't add some much flour that the dough is dry and won't stick together.
  5. Either scoop out approx. 2 tablespoons of dough and drop it onto your cookie sheet or using floured hands roll a small ball of dough in your hands and place on sheet. I usually roll mine in my hand and then flatten slightly ( they need to be at least 1 inch thick) ensuring a more uniform shape that is not common with drop biscuits.
  6. Use a pastry brush to brush the top of each biscuit with a small amount of vegetable oil.
  7. Bake for 12-18 minutes depending on your oven. It is pretty clear when they are ready as the top of the biscuit will be a nice golden brown.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sneaksleep said...

I wish Taz liked biscuits. Sigh...

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Maneesh said...

taz doesn't mind biscuits once in a while :)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:54:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home